05 augusti 2011

Mitt speech i engelska C

Why should you read and write?

I have not always read and written as I do now.

It all started when I was young and needed to get away from the surroundings and myself because I could not cope in another way. I where bullied in my class and I sucked at math, and I think I was a bit depressed because of all that. However, it took time to choose the right book to start read, my teacher in Swedish almost got insane to help me choose a book, and when I found the right book, she just sighed.
The book was The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis (but in Swedish), and I loved it!
After that, I could not stop reading. I remember I could lock myself into the toilet room so I could read, even if the bullies stood outside and pounded on the door. So reading became a good dependence and now it is my passion, I cannot live without books around me and books to read every day.

Some years later, I started having fantasies about everything, so I just began to write stories when I was only a child. However, the stories had always just a beginning and nothing more and I would always write them in a way that reminded of the books I was reading at the time. Therefore, I dropped the stories and began to write poems, at that time I was thirteen, fourteen years old.
I found out that I love to write poems, as I love to read.
I even write dairies and have written several since I was eleven years old. In many ways, I now cope with my life when I write my poems and in my dairies.

I am always grateful and blessed that I read and write as I do now, it have had such a big impact in my life. I would not be the woman I am today if I have not tried it when I was young. I do not even think I would have known and loved the people who are in my life now if it were not for my reading and writing.
I think you should read and write because you grow inside when you do that, and it can save you when nothing or nobody else can save you. Your own personal culture wants more, takes in other cultures, and makes a mix of it. I really think you can grow in yourself to a beautiful human being of all the things you learn when you are reading and writing. In addition, your imagination can grow so large that you have to write yourself because your reading cannot give you what you are craving.

It is like magic, and everyone wants magic in his or her life.

I want to read you a poem that is in Swedish, but I have translated it into English, and I made it in June. It is in a way just what I am talking about in this speech.

To a world like Narnia

Once upon a time
Between child and teenager
When I wanted
Not only to be seen
But also find
A door in a closet
To a world like Narnia

Where I would meet
Fairies, talking animals, creatures
I would be friends with
There would be evil
Monsters, witches and sorcerers
On the bad side
I would be the chosen
She who had magical powers
Who had a sword to fight with

I would be
A good and strong princess or
A wise and clever girl in the woods
She who all looked up to
With twinkling eyes full of hope
I would love them all
With my good heart

But it never happened
Dreams do not always come true

I continued to grow
Stood out in school with all
Evil nature and evil words
I never thought it would end
Hoping instead that
A knight would rescue me
Where I stood with tears
That almost stopped coming

Maybe I will never find
A door to a world like Narnia
Maybe I never will be
Really rescued by a knight
But better it gets
As long as there is hope
And I am trying to fight
Maybe I will find
My own happiness in the end

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar